Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, March 14, 2007

    Back in business...are we trully independent?

    Firstly, I want to welcome you to the new and revised Jamie blog. This is a medium for young people to air their views. I am also the editor in chief of Jamie magazine; so if at any point you feel you have a message/story that you’d like to publish, do let me know. Feel free to leave your comments here. I should also say that, I’m not liable for the comments on this site. If you like what you read, please spread the news to your friends. It’s all about networking.

    First things first, I need to get this off my chest:
    According to www.sunnewsonline.com the United States has asked the Nigerian government to allow as many candidates as possible to run in next months elections as a practical demonstration of commitment to democratic principles and rule of law, good suggestion but on what grounds?

    All this seems a little dodgy, first question…’what’s their business in Nigerian politics, I have not heard the government of Nigeria telling them how many candidates should contest in the states next election.

    I wrote an article last week on www.interviewmag.com and I received a lot of comments on the topic. The article was on the same-sex bill that is to be passed in Nigeria within the next 2 months. This bill denounces same-sex relationships, and also introduces a legal punishment for homosexuals. Also anyone who is involved in public advocacy or associations supporting the rights of lesbian and gay people would be subject to 5 years imprisonment.

    Now the US state department condemned the proposed bill saying that it was against the rule of law and fundamental human rights. The international human rights group also signed a letter condemning the bill.

    Back to the US’s first suggestion that Nigeria should be committed to democracy, if the majority of parliament who represent Nigeria ok the bill, ‘so be it’. The parliament represents the Nigerian people and their decisions are binding irrespective of what the US thinks. If we needed permission to make our laws, we would not have fought for our independence.

    I simply find I annoying that the west cant seem to get enough from controlling Africa. If its not advice about elections, it would be on homosexuals. If it’s neither of the two it would be on global warming, …which on its own is a whole new topic; I’ll save it for another day.

    No comments: